Quiz Bowl coach and social studies teacher Bill Murphy writes: Last Saturday's round robin with teams from nine high schools was just for the fun of it and didn't count towards the upcoming Vermont and New Hampshire state tournaments. The Vermont tournament will begin here at Hanover on Sunday afternoons November 2nd and November 16th at 2 PM.
The Hanover team on Saturday was -- top photo, left to right -- Nick O'Leary, Ari Brown, Olivia Marshall, Asie Makarova and Gabe Brison.
Vermont teams came from Fair Haven, North Country, Burr & Burton and Spaulding; the New Hampshire schools were Laconia, Portsmouth Christian Academy, Londonderry, Winnisquam and Hanover. Four students came down from Dartmouth to enter a team, including Hanover alum Dan Hopkins, class of 2006 (bottom photo). So there were about fifty students participating. The playoffs included a thrilling match between the Dartmouth team and the high-school coaches. Dartmouth won 15-14 with a quick response to the question, "What is the term for a financial option that gives you the right to buy stock at a certain price?" (Answer: a call.)
Click "read more" for the answers to these Quiz Bowl questions:
1. Which US state that borders on Canada extends the farthest south?
2. What structure regulates the buoyancy of bony fish?
3. What form of government was overthrown during the 1917 revolution in Russia?
4. The set of possible values of an independent variable of a function is a ...
5. What is the solution set for this equation? 4 plus 3 times the absolute value of (y-5) = 7
ANSWERS: 1. Idaho, 2. air (gas, swimming) bladder, 3. monarchy, 4. domain, 5. answer 4,6
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
WHAT REGULATES THE BUOYANCY OF BONY FISH? WHAT IS THE SOLUTION SET FOR THE EQUATION 4 + 3 TIMES THE ABSOLUTE VALUE OF (Y-5) EQUALS 7?
Posted by Hanoverlife at 10:18 AM