Friday, June 5, 2009

ALUMNI NOTES: GINGER VIEIRA, ADVISOR FOR DIABETIC TEENS



Ginger Vieira, class of 2004, answers questions for young diabetics like herself on a blog called Diabeteens. (http://www.healthcentral.com/diabeteens/). This profile comes from her site.

Hey Everybody! Last spring I graduated from Champlain College in Burlington VT with a degree in professional writing. I am also a Certified Personal Trainer and an Ashtanga yoga instructor. I teach 6 to 8 yoga classes a week, train clients of every age (from 19 to 77 years old, male and female), and I am also personally training in body building and have gained about 15 pounds of muscle in the past year. I absolutely love it!

I’ve had Type 1 diabetes for ten years (diagnosed when I was 13). Exercise and healthy nutrition have become a crucial part of my diabetes care. When I began training rigorously in bodybuilding/weight-training, and following a very clean nutrition plan, my diabetes care became so much more manageable because my body became more efficient. I needed less insulin and I treated myself kindly with healthy behavior!

Diabetes has added so many more positive things to my life than negative. I’ve met awesomely incredible people through having this disease, and I’ve learned so much more about my body and about health than most people without a chronic illness usually have to. But diabetes ain’t easy! I believe the most important part of living with diabetes is to have a positive attitude, because while it’s hard, it’s not the worst thing that could happen. Diabetes has never kept me from being just as happy as anyone else. In fact, I think some of us know how to have more fun than people who don’t have a chronic illness! It’s all about your attitude.